Essential fatty acids (EFA’s) are beneficial fats that are essential for good health. As EFAs cannot be made in the body, these beneficial fats need to be ingested through your diet and with supplementation on a daily basis. There are two families of essential fatty acids- omega 3 and omega 6.
Omega-3 essential fatty acids play many important roles in maintaining good health:
- Reducing pain and inflammation: Omega-3 essential fatty acids are strong anti-inflammatories and are useful in reducing pain and inflammation. They may provide temporary relief of joint stiffness, pain, inflammation and swelling associated with rheumatism and osteoarthritis.
- Supporting healthy heat function: Omega-3 essential fatty acids are vital for maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system. These good fats are effective in lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol and triglyceride levels while increasing levels of ‘healthy’ cholesterol. They also maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Supporting healthy cognitive function: Important for enhancing memory learning and brain development from infancy and throughout adult life.
- Improving Mood: Omega-3 essential fatty acids are often low in people who experience depression, anxiety and other mood related conditions.
- Pregnancy and lactation: Omega-3 essential fatty acids ensure healthy brain and nervous system development in the developing foetus and ongoing nutritional support for the mother during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Improving condition of skin, hair and nails: Dry skin, hair and nails are a sign of omega-3
essential fatty acids deficiency.
- Maintaining healthy cells: Omega-s 3’s ensure that every single cell in your body is
healthy, being able to receive oxygen and other vital nutrients into the cell and able to eliminate waste products effectively.
To boost your omega- 3 essential fatty acid levels, include these in your diet on a regular basis:
- 2-3 serves of fresh fish per week eg. tuna, salmon, cod.
- A handful of nuts and seeds a day
- Add up two tablespoons of healthy oils in your cooking daily, such as cold pressed vegetable oils, olive oil or flaxseed oil.
- Speak to your health practitioner about taking a good quality natural fish oil supplement.
In order to improve your health long-term, it is recommended that you take between 0.3-0.5 grams of
fish oil a day (combined EPA and DHA).
So if you want to improve your heart health, weight and pain consider using fish oil as a supplement.
You can also talk to one of our friendly practitioners to find out more!